In regards to Android, Samsung is the only way to fly and you should look at a Galaxy Note Tablet and a Galaxy S Phone running JellyBean and either Kit Kat, Ice Cream or Gingerbread. All four Android OS would be preferable to get the best of all worlds. For those whom want to delve a little deeper, keep reading for the images and commentary.
Desktop Vs Mobile Vs Tablet
When it comes to HTML5, Mobile Phones and Tablets are your main audience. Just don’t forget about desktop users as they do make up a huge chunk at 47.61%. Tablets make up 8.98% and Mobile Phones make up 43.41%. Mobile Phones and Tablets combined make up 52.39% which says we are definately moving more towards a mobile browsing generation.
Android Vs iOs
We can clearly see here the dominant OS is iOs with 58.62% of mobile & tablet users surfing on an apple product. Android is no slouch though with a 41.38% market share making it something worth supporting. Blackberry and Windows Phone 8 aren’t listed due to the significance weighted towards the two leading Operating Systems.
iPad 2 is a clear winner here with over 30% for this model alone. Galaxy Notes (1+2+3) combined creep past the iPad Mini at 16%. iPad 3 is at 15% and iPad 4 at 12%. Galaxy Notes are the Android tablet we clearly need to support here with 16% of the tablet market. iPad 2 (non-retina) and ipad 3,4,mini (retina) are the iOs versions with 73% of the tablet market clearly showing iOs is dominant once again.
This is just a breakdown of iPad models to show which is more dominant. Same as above really with iPad 2 having 32.12%, iPad Mini having 20.93%, iPad 4 with 16.05% and iPad 3 having 14.27%. I personally own two iPad 2’s so I can account for part of the 30%+ users there.
Samsung. Enough said really. Samsung has a 58% share here with 12% others (which are the likes of pendo pads and other smaller chinese manufacturers). Sony, HTC, and Motorola are all under 6%. Sort of shows what brand of phone gets the most support.
Android Os Version
Roughly 70% of android users are using JellyBean (v4.1-v4.3), 13% are using Gingerbread (v2.3x), 12% are using Ice Cream Sandwich (v4.0x) and 7% are using Kit Kat (v4.4x). A lot of fragmentation there compared to iOs. So having an earlier device is always best for testing.
A massive 54% are using iOs 7.x, 43% using iOs 6.x and 3% using iOs 5.x. I can safely say I have an ipad on iOs 6 and iOs 7 for testing and an iPhone 4S on iOs 6 and iOs 7. This covers 90% of iOs right there. Look for the same.
Make sure you leave a comment with your thoughts and keep making HTML5 Games!